Monday, March 9, 2015

Things I wish you could hear

Day 9 of the Two Writing Teachers Slice of Life Challenge

Life is hard and wonderful and filled with uncertainty.  Every day I watch the students in my library as they find their way through it, and often think to myself, --I wish I could tell you this in a way that you would really hear it--- but more often than not I know that these are lessons we all must learn on our own and in our own time.  When the student is ready, the teacher will come kind of thing. Even with that knowledge, these have been on my mind to share so here are a few tidbits I wish they could hear. 
  1. Don't ever make yourself "smaller" to fit into someone else's vision of who you should be.
  2. Guys feel feelings just as deeply, they've just been taught by our world to suck it up in order to be a man.
  3. Khalil Gibran wrote, "Let there be spaces in our togetherness."  These are wise, wise words for every relationship be it friendship or love.
  4. At the heart of most anger is fear.
  5. Be you.  
  6. Everyone is carrying a burden.  Everyone. 
  7. When in doubt, choose kindness.
  8. Love isn't about control.  Love isn't about shutting you off from friends and family. Love doesn't call you names or hurt you.
  9. Being "cool" isn't all it's cracked up to be.
  10. Trust your gut.  
  11. Loving someone doesn't necessarily mean you are meant to be together forever. That doesn't make what you have less real.  Summer doesn't mean the winter wasn't important & necessary & real.
  12. Celebrate the success of your friends.  Their success doesn't take away from you--there isn't a scarcity of success; there is plenty for all of us to enjoy.
  13. Apologize and mean it. We all screw up at one point or another.  Learn to own your mistakes and make amends.
  14. Guys who only want you if you act ditzy don't want the real you.  This is exhausting and ridiculous.  Please don't fall into this trap.  
  15. If you try to control your loved ones you will end up being resentful and angry.
  16. You can't make someone love you and you can't change anyone but yourself.  
  17. You were put on this earth to shine.  Don't hide your light under a bushel. Don't let anyone dull your sparkle.
  18. When people hurt you, forgive them.  This doesn't mean you don't move forward, this means you feel your feelings and then you release them so you CAN move forward.
  19. Do what makes your heart sing.  
  20. You are important.  You matter.  YOU have gifts no one else can offer this world.  
Come to think of it, these are words I wish I could share with many adults, too.  Did I mention I need to remind myself of them often, as well?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you. This was a beautiful post and they are words I really needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was trying to keep up with which numbers I agreed with most... Yea, that was a waste of time. I agree with all of them! You're right. It's something even adults need to hear!

    ReplyDelete