Tuesday, October 6, 2015

M.A.G.I.C.




The time has come to share the magic of M.A.G.I.C.  (Magical and Gifted Individuals Club)

I was amazingly fortunate to get my fab job as a high school librarian at a school that once-upon-a-time had a Harry Potter themed club.  The club disbanded a couple of years back--life got in the way for a few of the sponsors and a lot of the kids, as life often does.  With that said, it had been a favorite and there were whispers (okay, shouts) among the students (okay, and teachers) of wanting it to make a comeback.
This year, we brought M.A.G.I.C. back, y'all.  We brought it back in a  BIG way. 

I am the head sponsor, and Slytherin Head-of-House for M.A.G.I.C and what could possibly be more fun than that???


The excitement over the first announcements, posters, and application set the school on fire.  It was like a big ole Harry Potter love-fest.  It was, needless to say, awesome.  To walk through the library listening to students argue (in a friendly but firm way) over which House was the best House made this little ole librarian's heart extra-happy.

Over 100 students turned in applications, which were actually just sorting quizzes.  OVER 100.

All the Heads-of-House met and planned our first event--the Sorting Ceremony, which took place this past weekend.

I sent out owls to all the kids with a reminder about our Sorting Ceremony.  I am so proud of these little guys--and thankful I have amazing library student assistants who cut them all out and delivered them! The students really got a kick out of receiving their message this way.

OVER 80 students showed up at school on a Sunday afternoon, y'all. Most of them brought treats, too, which earned them their first House points.

I cannot find words to tell you just how much fun was had by all. Yes, there were some surprised faces at the Sorting--but the hat knows what the hat knows, right?  We stress that all Houses are great Houses; each has its own special ways.  We'll get together with ALL Houses again for our Yule Ball, and some type of Quidditch/Tri-Wizard Tournament event in the spring.  All other events/meetings will be up to each House--the professor in charge, as well as their Head Boy, Head Girl & Prefect will help in the major decision making.

My folks are already discussing a movie marathon/wand-making party, as well as multiple book club meetings.  Life is sssssssweet, indeed.

B got her owl!

I made each Slytherin student a welcome letter on parchment cardstock, detailing the beauty of Slytherin House.
No, we aren't all evil.  Not that we care what you think.  ;)

The green wax seal on the letters for students.  Lucky my name is Sonja Schulz, eh?
I already know I'll break down and buy the Slytherin stamp soon.  I cannot help myself. 

The letters are ready.

All treats are good treats, but some are superb!

So creative!!! See the little broomsticks?  And the HP cookies?  Flippin' AMAZING.


Ready to emcee the Sorting Ceremony....but first, a selfie!

D was so sure he was a Slytherin he brought his pet snake to celebrate the moment.  Show-stealer! ;)
p.s. He was right.  He most certainly IS a Slytherin. 

What did the Sorting Hat just say???  Ah yessssssss....Slytherin it is!  M made that awesome necklace representing all Houses and wore his robe.

S reads as he is sorted.  I love this so hard!

My HOUSE.  These are MY PEOPLE.
#slytherin4life

K wasn't able to make the ceremony, so she got "sorted" at school.
#slytherinrocks

8 comments:

  1. How awesome! I am so glad there is time in their lives as busy high schoolers for this kind of fun and community! Thanks for sharing- I want updates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! It is one of those things they make time for because it is so much fun!

      Delete
  2. How awesome! I am so glad there is time in their lives as busy high schoolers for this kind of fun and community! Thanks for sharing- I want updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much work you put into this! What amazing memories you have created for them! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much work you put into this! What amazing memories you have created for them! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we are having a ball creating those memories for sure! thank you!

      Delete